I’m Sonja and movement has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.
It all started with my figure skating career that I started when I was 6 years old. As a competitive figure skater I got to experience all of the aspects of what it means to be an athlete. One thing that made a big impression on me was the relationship with my coach, who was like a second mother to me, guiding and teaching me every day. I knew very early on that I wanted to be a coach, just like her. So I moved away from the small town I grew up in to Vienna to study Nutrition Science and Sports and become a Personal Trainer.
My personal movement journey took me further and after finishing my figure skating carreer at age 20 I started to dance competitively in a Show Dance group called “Royal Jokers Dance Crew”. After 5 years of competing with them, working as a personal trainer and finishing my Masters degree, I got obsessed with handbalance and went on a trip around the world with my husband. That was when we started my Youtube Channel “Handstand Diary” which was focused on everything around handstands. This trip around the world lead us to move to Santa Rosa, California, where we live today.
In addition to my movement journey, I have started singing and love to write songs. I strongly believe that we are creative beings and that experiencing freedom in our creativity is the backbone of living a happy and fulfilled life. Our bodies are our vehicle for self-expression in many ways and to me there’s nothing more satisfying than to see people experience what their bodies are capable of!
My Education and Experience
- Personal Trainer since 2013
- Private Lecturer at the Danube University, Austria. Teaching the subject “Weight Management” in the faculties for “Sports and Nutrition” and “Clinical Nutrition Medicine” (2016-2018)
- Master of Science in Sports and Nutrition Science, University of Vienna, Austria (2009-2016)
- Certified Personal Trainer, Austrian Academy of Sports (2010-2012)
- Certified Dance Instructor, University of Sports Vienna, Austria (2009)
- International Competitive Dancer at the Royal Jokers Dance Crew, sponsored by Boris Nebyla e.u. (2009-2015)
- International Competitive Figure Skater under Coach Elena Romanova (1996-2008)
Join My Virtual Gym!
© 2020 Sonja Smith-Novak | Austria